[Peace-discuss] [Peace] Fwd: Does the "War on Terror" Still Exist. Controversial Speaker at 7pm TONIGHT in Follinger Auditorium!!! PLEASE ATTEND!!!

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 13 15:15:42 CDT 2010

Rachel, my conern, in case I wasn't clear, is about the contrast between the
lack of any clear response to racism in our own backyard--Hillel, etc.--that has
real consequences in relation to our wars; as opposed to the haste with
which--for example--a demonstration is organized after the murder of Dr. Tiller.
These characterizations say a lot about the meaning of "human rights" in the
academic community, and among those whose job it is to "advocate" for such
rights. It seems to me that when it comes to something like "human rights," we
aren't or shouldn't be wearing different hats at work and in the community. That
would seem to undermine the sincerity and effectiveness of the whole project.

So Rachel, let's address the issue: when has the Women's Resource Center ever
shown any concern for the women around the world who are having bombs dropped on
them?

As you may know, I recently commented on the military flyover and subsequent
"U.S.A." chants at a football game. It was quite a masculine sounding chant, I
must say, both literally and figuratively, meaning bellicosity-wise, and
potentially violence-against-women-wise. Any word from the WRC about how young
women sitting in the stands might feel about this? How such belliocse conformity
among men might relate to violence against women? Do you really feel that women
on this campus could possibly feel comfortable in speaking their minds against
war, if they would be so inclined to want to do so?

What is the WRC doing about it?

Just asking.

David