[Peace-discuss] The source of our problems

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Oct 17 15:37:10 CDT 2010

  Yes, we were - and quite properly - single-issue voters on Vietnam (when there
was anyone to vote for). But you remember that it took us a long time to descry
the sources of the Kennedy-Johnson-Nixon crimes in SE Asia. We seem to have to
go thru a similar process re the Clinton-Bush-Obama crimes in SW Asia.

The 1970s were the origin of the counter-attack of the US ruling class on "the
sixties" and the reason people like Obama must excoriate the "excesses" of that
decade. Bench marks are the book /The Crisis of Democracy/ (q.v.) from 1975 (the
crisis being too much democracy) and the neoliberal turn of the Carter
administration, including its imperial war in Afghanistan (or, "How Osama bin
Laden Became a CIA Asset") - consolidated by the election of 1980.

Yes, your account of the presidential elections of 1968 and 1972 is
over-simplification, but don't feel bad.  That's the way we talk about politics
in the political class. (For openers, remember that Nixon was elected against
the administration that was prosecuting the war - on his promise that he had a
"secret plan" for ending it.  We forget that Nixon was elected as Obama was - as
the anti-war candidate. Both of course were lying.)

I also think it's not too helpful to parallel the US and USSR occupations of
Afghanistan; the politics, both domestic and foreign, were quite different.