[Peace-discuss] sheesh / peace-discuss is addictive

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 00:49:58 CDT 2010

> Not sure why Carl sent this, but here's the full poem... and it looks
> interesting
> http://www.bartleby.com/198/1.html

Would it have been worth while,*        90*To have bitten off the matter
with a smile,To have squeezed the universe into a ballTo roll it toward some
overwhelming question,

“That is not what I meant at all.  That is not it, at all.”

I am no prophet—and here’s no great matter;I have seen the moment of my
greatness flicker,And I have seen the eternal Footman hold my coat, and
snicker,*        85*
“That is not what I meant at all.  That is not it, at all.”

That poem and much more make me think of another poem... as with the lines
above, I also took more than a few liberties with the lines below:

'T'is by our follies that so longWe hold the earth from heaven away. "These
clumsy feet, still in the mire,Go crushing blossoms without end;These hard,
well-meaning hands we thrustAmong the heart-strings of a friend. "The
ill-timed truth we might have kept--Who knows how sharp it pierced and
stung?The word we had not sense to say--
Who knows how grandly it had rung!

"For our blunders -- oh, in shameBefore the eyes of heaven we fall;Our
faults no tenderness should ask.The chastening stripes must cleanse them
all.
The jester's pleading voice arose: "O Lord,Be merciful to me, a fool!The
king walked apart and murmured low:"Be merciful to me, a fool!"