[Peace-discuss] sheesh / peace-discuss is addictive

E.Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Mon Oct 18 01:35:24 CDT 2010

"Do I dare to eat a peach?"

... dare to Im-Peach?

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Karen Medina
  To: Peace-discuss List
  Sent: Monday, October 18, 2010 1:49 PM
  Subject: Re: [Peace-discuss] sheesh / peace-discuss is addictive

          Not sure why Carl sent this, but here's the full poem... and it looks interesting
          http://www.bartleby.com/198/1.html

        Would it have been worth while,         90
        To have bitten off the matter with a smile,
        To have squeezed the universe into a ball
        To roll it toward some overwhelming question,

              “That is not what I meant at all.
                That is not it, at all.”

                    I am no prophet—and here’s no great matter;
                    I have seen the moment of my greatness flicker,
                    And I have seen the eternal Footman hold my coat, and snicker,         85

                          “That is not what I meant at all.
                            That is not it, at all.”

  That poem and much more make me think of another poem... as with the lines above, I also took more than a few liberties with the lines below:

  'T'is by our follies that so long
  We hold the earth from heaven away.

  "These clumsy feet, still in the mire,
  Go crushing blossoms without end;
  These hard, well-meaning hands we thrust
  Among the heart-strings of a friend.

  "The ill-timed truth we might have kept--
  Who knows how sharp it pierced and stung?
  The word we had not sense to say--
  Who knows how grandly it had rung!

  "For our blunders -- oh, in shame
  Before the eyes of heaven we fall;
  Our faults no tenderness should ask.
  The chastening stripes must cleanse them all.

  The jester's pleading voice arose:
  "O Lord,Be merciful to me, a fool!
  The king walked apart and murmured low:
  "Be merciful to me, a fool!"