[Peace-discuss] Tim Johnson / killing people

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Oct 18 17:12:53 CDT 2010

  People forget that during the Vietnam War the Nixon administration proposed
some advanced social legislation (often urged by D. P. Moynihan, whose letters
have just been published) - social legislation in fact much in advance of what
the Obama administration has proposed, even on health care.

But even then no one was benighted enough to say, "We shouldn't Take a Stand and
Vote Our Conscience against the war in SE Asia because the administration has
proposed a Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and an
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) - even a negative income tax" (in fact
quite a good idea, wrecked by Democrats).

But in 1972 many Americans voted for Nixon and sneered at those with
"consciences [that were] squeaky clean" on the war, as John W. pointed out the
other day on this list. "...Whereof what's past is prologue, what to come /  In
yours and my discharge."  --CGE