[Peace-discuss] [Peace] This list is for brief announcements only

Brussel Morton K. mkbrussel at comcast.net
Wed Oct 27 00:07:48 CDT 2010

Joy and others,

I've been pondering the nature of the peace-discuss list for some time, and am sympathetic to your annoyance and exasperation with its current incarnation. Since it is an open forum, however, I'm not sure anything can or should be done about it. Relatively few contribute routinely to the discussion there. I have been among them, but aside from articles I run across that appear pertinent to AWARE's supposed mission—anti-war and anti-racism—, I usually only respond to opinions or commentary I find fault with.

What irritates me in some of the discussion is a grossly repetitious insistence on certain themes, themes to which I do not necessarily disagree, but whose presentation I think are not quite honest, hence destructive. Thus, Obama is forever "murdering" people around the world rather than that his (administration's) policies indeed lead to the slaughter of innocents. For some, it seems any slight deviation from their own beliefs are to be  condemned. There is scant nuance, to an extent often bordering on intellectual dishonesty and/or distortion. Distinctions are avoided. "Liberals", the "left", Democrats, and even "progressives"—defined rather arbitrarily according to the points to be made—are too often cast as stooges or dupes for the power elites (not insufficiently anti-capitalist, anti-war, and/or anti-imperialist).  "Abortion is murder" is another example. Religious doctrine/beliefs (God) also sometimes get thrown in where, from my point of view, they have no relevance to the mission of AWARE. Not infrequently, when a discussion occurs, and questions are raised, the questions are not answered honestly or directly, but rather a bait-and-switch rhetorical technique ensues.

But to repeat, perhaps the most irritating aspect that arises for me is the obsessional repetition of what one wants to have others believe. Furthermore, I find that the discussions on the list are not broadly balanced; the variety of opinions on the list seems to me to be too narrow.

Presentations found at ZNet is much better.

One obvious solution to all this is to simply remove oneself from the list. But there are useful things to be aware of that are exposed there. It's akin to subscribing and hence being led to read the editorial page of the News-Gazette or the NYT, not to mention the choice of articles presented.
I'm often tempted to cease my subscriptions, but I haven't followed through.

My 2¢.

--mkb