[Peace-discuss] [Peace] This list is for brief announcements, e.g., 'Obama slaughters innocents..."

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Oct 27 17:15:44 CDT 2010

"...Obama is forever 'murdering' people around the world rather than that his
(administration's) policies indeed lead to the slaughter of innocents..."
--M. Brussel

"Killing one person is murder; killing thousands is foreign policy"
--bumper sticker purchased from AWARE table at Farmers' Market

I met Murder on the way -
He had a mask like Castlereagh* -
Very smooth he looked, yet grim;
Seven blood-hounds followed him:

All were fat; and well they might
Be in admirable plight,
For one by one, and two by two,
He tossed the human hearts to chew
Which from his wide cloak he drew.

Next came Fraud, and he had on,
Like Eldon, an ermined gown;
His big tears, for he wept well,
Turned to mill-stones as they fell.

And the little children, who
Round his feet played to and fro,
Thinking every tear a gem,
Had their brains knocked out by them...

'And that slaughter to the Nation
Shall steam up like inspiration,
Eloquent, oracular;
A volcano heard afar.

'And these words shall then become
Like Oppression's thundered doom
Ringing through each heart and brain,
Heard again - again - again -

'Rise like Lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number -
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many - they are few.'

--from "The Masque of Anarchy," by Percy Bysshe Shelley, written on the occasion
of the "Peterloo Massacre" carried out by the British Government at St Peter's
Field, Manchester, on 16 August 1819, when cavalry charged into a crowd of
60,000–80,000 gathered at a meeting to demand the reform of parliamentary
representation. (Cf. the attack on the unarmed Bonus Expeditionary Force -
43,000 marchers, including 17,000 World War I veterans and their families - in
Washington DC on 28 July 1932 by US army infantry and cavalry supported by six
tanks, and commanded by Army Chief of Staff General Douglas MacArthur; Major,
later President, Dwight D. Eisenhower was his liaison with Washington police,
and Major George Patton led the cavalry.)

*British Foreign Minister who eventually killed himself by cutting his throat
with a letter-opener.