[Peace-discuss] [Peace] picket the UI Trustees tomorrow at noon! - pass it on!

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 10:58:42 CDT 2010

Related to today's event on the University of Illinois Quad,
I was talking to a friend and was appalled to learn that he thinks the
university should get less and less of its money from the state. Digging
deeper, I found out that he believes the university is right in raising
tuition, funding all research through philanthropic foundations and the
federal government, and that the federal government will provide increased
financial aid for the tuition increase.

I believe the following:
I don't trust the federal government to fund public institutions. It would
be very easy for a single president to suddenly mandate that all students
serve in the military before they can get financial aid.

I think my friend's scenario would lead to the University of Illinois to
become a private school, not a public school.

Public education is the cornerstone of democracy. Without it, tyranny is
easy.

The state benefits from having the University of Illinois here. Without
support from the state, we might as well move the U of I to another state.

I am interested in your comments. But more than that I'm interested in
people coming out at noon today.

-karen medina