[Peace-discuss] [Peace] picket the UI Trustees tomorrow at noon! - pass it on!

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Thu Sep 23 23:30:31 CDT 2010

The State of Illinois appears to be de facto bankrupt.

The quasi-public status of the university seems to be at odds with its
business goals as
an "Entrepreneurial Institution".

I am not sure that your idea about moving the U of I to some other state
would work, but
there are those who would consider it to be a valid option.  "The
University of Illinois at
Yazoo City, Mississippi".  Most of the buildings and faculty and
students could stay rite
where they are in the DMZ between Urbana and West Urbana, but a lot of
new jobs could
be created by changing the mailing address.  Students at PAR might be
dismayed to find that
their 8 am lecture on the History of Western Civilization was at Sadie's
BBQ Truck Stop but
there would be few other side effects, and the students could just turn
off the alarm at 7.50 and

The original goals of the land-grant university appear to have fallen by
the way-side long ago,
perhaps rightly so... maybe such institutions are not necessary any longer.

***
"Public education is the cornerstone of democracy. Without it, tyranny
is easy."

That sounds very interesting, but I would suppose that Public Education
strives to create
a Culture of Conformity rather than Free-Thinking Tyranny-destroying
Individuals.  George Carlin said that the goal
of education in the United States is to cultivate Obedient Workers.  I
don't disagree with
George's observations.  George always seemed to know his shit.

Anyway, seeing that the US has had a huge Public Education programme in
place for quite a while,
what accounts for the persistent growth of Tyranny in spite of blessings
of Public Education?

Or are we to accept the notion that "it would have been a Lot Worse"?