[Peace-discuss] Hypocritical interventionism

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Apr 14 16:22:14 CDT 2011

Samantha Power, the apostle of "humanitarian intervention" and now "Special
Assistant to President Obama," is peculiarly good at discerning atrocities when
committed outside the empire, not so good at it when they are committed by the
US or its clients: the Obama administration is torturing Bradley Manning,
according to Amnesty International and legal authorities around the world -
obviously to prevent further revelations of crimes committed by the US - but
this pie-eyed piper of R2P can see no problem:

"In terms of Bradley Manning, I would just say again that we have full
confidence in the Defense Department and in the facilities and the protections
that he is being afforded."

Love that "we." I'm sure she repeated it - all the way home.

She's a monster, to coin a phrase.