[Peace-discuss] 5 Myths re Why the South Seceded (James Loewen) wall

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Apr 19 22:54:32 CDT 2011

    April 10, 2008
    Books of The Times
    What Emancipation Didn't Stop After All
    By JANET MASLIN

    SLAVERY BY ANOTHER NAME
    The Re-Enslavement of Black Americans From the Civil War to World War II
    By Douglas A. Blackmon
    Illustrated. 468 pages. Doubleday. $29.95.

In "Slavery by Another Name" Douglas A. Blackmon eviscerates one of our
schoolchildren's most basic assumptions: that slavery in America ended with the
Civil War. Mr. Blackmon unearths shocking evidence that the practice persisted
well into the 20th century. And he is not simply referring to the virtual
bondage of black sharecroppers unable to extricate themselves economically from
farming.

He describes free men and women forced into industrial servitude, bound by
chains, faced with subhuman living conditions and subject to physical torture.
That plight was horrific. But until 1951, it was not outside the law.

All it took was anything remotely resembling a crime. Bastardy, gambling,
changing employers without permission, false pretense, "selling cotton after
sunset": these were all grounds for arrest in rural Alabama by 1890. And as Mr.
Blackmon explains in describing incident after incident, an arrest could mean a
steep fine. If the accused could not pay this debt, he or she might be imprisoned.

Alabama was among the Southern states that profitably leased convicts to private
businesses. As the book illustrates, arrest rates and the labor needs of local
businesses could conveniently be made to dovetail.

For the coal, lumber, turpentine, brick, steel and other interests described
here, a steady stream of workers amounted to a cheap source of fuel. And the
welfare of such workers was not the companies' concern. So in the case of John
Clarke, convicted of "gaming" on April 11, 1903, a 10-day stint in the
Sloss-Sheffield mine in Coalburg, Ala., could erase his fine. But it would take
an additional 104 days for him to pay fees to the sheriff, county clerk and
witnesses who appeared at his trial.

In any case, Mr. Clarke survived for only one month and three days in this
captivity. The cause of his death was said to be falling rock. At least another
2,500 men were incarcerated in Alabama labor camps at that time.

This is a very tough story to tell, and not just because of its extremely
graphic details. Mr. Blackmon, who was reared in the Mississippi Delta and is
now the Atlanta bureau chief of The Wall Street Journal, must set forth a huge
chunk of history. He writes of how the emancipation of slaves left Southern
plantations "not just financially but intellectually bereft" because the slaves'
knowledge and experience could be indispensable; how the rise of industry
reshaped the South; how a new generation of African-Americans who had not known
slavery found themselves threatened by it; how slavery intersected with efforts
to unionize labor; and even how, once blacks lost their voting rights but still
had clout at the Republican convention, they were strategically important to
President Theodore Roosevelt's 1904 election campaign.

The roles of elected officials in acknowledging and stopping this new slavery
are a crucial part of Mr. Blackmon's story. Needless to say, it is complicated.
The book describes the 1903 investigation authorized by the Justice Department,
the trial of accused slave traders and the aggressive stance taken by Warren S.
Reese Jr., the United States attorney in Alabama, in prosecuting his case.

"As allegations of slavery in his jurisdiction multiplied, Reese demonstrated a
prehensile comprehension of the murky legal framework governing black labor,"
Mr. Blackmon writes, "and a hard-nosed unwillingness to ignore the implications
of the extraordinary evidence that soon poured into his office."

The resulting trial is among this book's many zealously researched episodes.
(Mr. Blackmon's sources range from corporate records to one "Sheriff's Feeding
Account, 1899-1907.") Its outcome was promising, but there were loopholes. As
one sign of this story's complexity, consider that the traders were tried on
charges of peonage.

Those charges turned out not to be applicable in Alabama. And in another such
case, lawyers would argue that the charge should instead be involuntary
servitude. Reformers were dealing with "a constitutional limbo in which slavery
as a legal concept was prohibited by the Constitution, but no statute made an
act of enslavement explicitly illegal."

Mr. Blackmon's way of organizing this material is to bookend his legal and
historical chronicle with the personal story of Green Cottenham, a black man
born free in the mid-1880s. This gets "Slavery by Another Name" off to a shaky
start, if only because many of Mr. Blackmon's wordings are speculative. The book
underscores that if black Americans' enslavement to U.S. Steel (which, when it
acquired the Tennessee Coal, Iron & Railroad Company, became a prime offender)
is analogous to the slavery that occurred in Nazi Germany, it also emphasizes
that the American slaves' illiteracy meant there would be no written records of
their experience. So imagining Mr. Green's experience becomes something of a
stretch.

But as soon as it gets to more verifiable material, "Slavery by Another Name"
becomes relentless and fascinating. It exposes what has been a mostly unexplored
aspect of American history (though there have been dissertations and a few books
from academic presses). It creates a broad racial, economic, cultural and
political backdrop for events that have haunted Mr. Blackmon and will now haunt
us all. And it need not exaggerate the hellish details of intense racial strife.

The torment that Mr. Blackmon catalogs is, if anything, understated here. But it
loudly and stunningly speaks for itself.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/10/books/10masl.html?ref=douglasablackmon