[Peace-discuss] debt crisis shakedown...

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Aug 1 15:16:32 CDT 2011

I hope you're right, but MoveOn has an embarrassing history on "polling its
membership": see <http://www.commondreams.org/views07/0319-28.htm>.

Durbin & Kirk's office are just taking recordings, but Rep. Johnson's office
(202-225-2371) has a rather knowledgeable real person answering the phone.

Of course, Johnson is in  a more difficult district this year, running against
perennial candidate  David Gill, who characteristically hasn't taken a position
on the matter.

Johnson OTOH voted against Boehner's bill, as he should have.  (I think the poet
was wrong who described the "...greatest treason: to do the right deed for the
wrong reason." There are worse treasons - like killing and looting people in
"the country's" name.)

Given that Obama's party is the 1% Party, his debt deal is clearly in their
interest. The question whether they can be stopped.  --CGE