[Peace-discuss] But I'm a Cheerleader!

Laurie Solomon ls1000 at live.com
Thu Aug 11 18:36:49 CDT 2011

I realize that your response is an attempt to trivialize and make fun of my
observation; but in all seriousness, standing on a wooden box on a city
street corner and harangue the passers-by in the fashion of London's Hyde
Park is still acting like a propagandist issuing academic ideological
polemics in contrast to being an actual activist who is involved in taking
"real" actions rather than engaging in the action of talking about taking
action - in my humble opinion.  Things like taking passive resistance,
general strike, active boycotting of companies and institutions,  and
disruption of normal daily life and its everyday activities are more like
the substantive activities of an activist as opposed to the symbolic
activities of protests, marching with placards, and engaging in debates and
conversations which - in my opinion - are the activities of a polemicist, a
propagandist, and/or an academic.  The latter fit your notions of
cheerleading as much as academic Political Science - and for that matter all
social science and some natural science - papers and presentations and
military music.  All education involves indoctrination  and internalization
of ideas, approaches, perspectives, points of views, beliefs,values, and
ideologies; thus, the citing of articles, the reposting of articles the
repetitively expresses various versions of the same information, and
exercise of critical analysis for purposes of educating people is just
another form of cheerleading for one's position as much as any other form or
attempts to politically or otherwise educate the public and usually
comprises preaching to the choir in terms of its effectiveness in changing
minds.