[Peace-discuss] tim johnson on the war spending and ron paul

"E. Wayne Johnson 朱稳森" ewj at pigs.ag
Wed Aug 17 18:53:40 CDT 2011

*http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/Felsenthal-Files/August-2011/Tim-Johnson-on-the-Redistricting-Map-the-Debt-Ceiling-Ron-Paul-and-More/
*

*CF: By voting against lifting the debt ceiling, do you feel any
responsibility for Standard & Poor’s lowering the country’s credit rating?
TJ: *Why would I feel responsible when I voted against the bill that
passed and then apparently triggered this? It was a cobbled-together
bill. The cuts were, I think, far short of what is necessary to deal
with our fiscal crisis in America. Also, it didn’t deal with the fact
that we have already spent upwards of $2 trillion on three wars—or six
wars, according to how you look at it. No end game, and we’re pouring
gigantic amounts of money into something that I don’t think makes people
in Bloomington or Decatur or Champaign any safer.

*CF: You’re looking for more cuts in defense?
TJ: *Absolutely. I want to get out of Afghanistan. I want to get out of
Iraq. We shouldn’t be in Libya. We shouldn’t be in Syria.

*CF: I’m curious how you get to the number six.
TJ: *Let’s leave it at three. We’re providing money in Syria and at
least two other countries, depending how you look at it. We’re fighting
wars we can’t win. We need to get about the business of taking care of
American jobs first, and we’re not doing that.

*CF: Whom are you supporting in the race for Republican presidential
nomination?
TJ: *I’m still looking at al the candidates. I’m a close personal friend
of Ron Paul, and I have a huge amount of respect for him. Ron Paul is
the most principled man—or woman—who has ever run for office in America
in my political lifetime. He is committed to a set of principles; he
doesn’t deviate from those principles.  His personal ethics are of the
highest nature. Nobody has asked me to endorse them yet.

*CF: I think Ron Paul is a mystery to many Americans. What’s he like? Do
you go out to dinner with him and just talk?
TJ: *Sure. He’s interesting, funny, extraordinarily bright, engaging—a
fine human being. He’s a real workout fanatic. He’s in terrific shape.
He’s the kind of guy who, if you tell him what you’re interested in, he
probably knows something about it. He’s got an eclectic knowledge, and
he’s able to talk about anything from sports to medicine—and everything
in between.