[Peace-discuss] Identity-politics nonsense

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Aug 18 23:19:05 CDT 2011

'...While acknowledging that “our people are hurting,” Congressional Black
Caucus member and California Representative Maxine Waters said at a Town Hall
meeting after the job fair that the aim was not to “put pressure on the
president.” This would be harmful, she said, because everyone loves Obama, the
first black president.

'Because Obama is African American, Waters said, to oppose him would mean to
oppose all African Americans. This of a president who has presided over the bail
out of the banks; the devastation of the social conditions of the vast majority
of the population of all races, including an immense growth in poverty and
unemployment among African Americans; and now plans for trillions of dollars in
cuts to social programs...

'“We’re supportive of the president,” stated Waters, “but we’re getting tired,
y'all… We want to give the president every opportunity, but our people are hurting.”
Even in the largely sympathetic audience, Waters' promotion of Obama evoked
opposition. When Waters said, “When you let us know it is time to let go [of
Obama], we’ll let go,” several people in the audience yelled, “Let go!”'

[Full article at <http://www.wsws.org/articles/2011/aug2011/jobs-a18.shtml>.]