[Peace-discuss] Debt Crisis in West is Just a 'Prelude to War'

C. G. ESTABROOK cge at shout.net
Fri Aug 19 10:25:17 CDT 2011

One might say that the 1929 crash led to the triumph of already-existing Fascism
in Germany, the largest and most politically significant country in Europe.

After the failure of the Second New Deal in 1937 - the USG had put its hand to
the plow and looked back - the US elite opted for war, in the sense that they
saw that it would be the US could be the only undamaged country to emerge from a
world war, and that war spending would defeat the depression.

For example the WPA (even more needed today), hated by business, was set aside
by war production.

"In December of 1943, FDR told the press that 'Dr. New Deal' had given way to
'Dr. Win the War.'  Congress kept cutting back on New Deal programs. During
1942-43, the Civilian Conservation Corps, Works Progress Administration,
National Youth Administration, and National Resources Planning Board were axed.
The Farm Security and Rural Electrification boards were cut back." [J. Wilson]

This was possible becasue of war prosperity & jobs. WWII was a much larger
stimulus program than the New Deal had ever been.

"From 1939 to 1945, extensive studies were conducted by the Council on Foreign
Relations and the State Department. One group was called the War-Peace Studies
Group, which met for six years and produced extensive geopolitical analyses and
plans. The Council on Foreign Relations is essentially the business input to
foreign policy plainning. These groups also involved every top planner in the
State Department, with the exception of the Secretary of State.

"The conception that they developed is what they called 'Grand Area' planning.
The Grand Area was a region that was to be subordinated to the needs of the
American economy. As one planner put it, it was to be the region that is
'strategically necessary for world control.' The geopolitical analysis held that
the Grand Area had to include at least the Western Hemisphere, the Far East, and
the former British Empire, which we were then in the process of dismantling and
taking over ourselves. This is what is called 'anti-imperialism' in American
scholarship. The Grand Area was also to include western and southern Europe and
the oil-producing regions of the Middle East; in fact, it was to include
everything, if that were possible. Detailed plans were laid for particular
regions of the Grand Area and also for international institutions that were to
organize and police it, essentially in the interests of this subordination to
U.S. domestic needs." [Chomsky]

The poets often get there first: the point of the article seems to be
Shakespeare's Henry IV's advice to his son--

"Be it thy course to busy giddy minds
With foreign quarrels, that action, hence borne out,
May waste the memory of the former days."

--CGE