[Peace-discuss] Occupy! LA Rejects National Defense Authorization Act

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Sun Dec 4 03:28:03 CST 2011

The General Assembly of Occupy Los Angeles adopted the following
statement and demand on Saturday, December 3, 2011:

Occupy Los Angeles Rejects the National Defense Authorization Act

Occupy Los Angeles demands that President Obama veto the National
Defense Authorization Act. The legislation includes provisions which
destroy the Constitutional rights of Habeas Corpus and Due Process.
American citizens and all people everywhere have the inalienable right
to contest their imprisonment and to a civilian trial by jury. We reject
this and all legislation which abridges these rights as well as the
false belief that doing so will make the nation more secure. The bill
also contains sanctions against the oil industry and monetary systems of
Iran which are clear predecessors to a military attack. Additionally,
the bill funds wars that the majority of Americans oppose. These
endless, senseless wars only serve the Corporatist interests of the 1%
and we oppose this and all legislation which enables and perpetuates them.