[Peace-discuss] Diana Johnstone on Libya

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat Dec 10 01:03:55 CST 2011

It's worth noting that the Michael Berube mentioned in Johnstone's
piece is not (as many think) the Canadian pop singer responsible for
the 2007 album Call Me Irresponsible (altho' that's probably the best
that Berube might be called for his political opinions, of which
Johnstone gives a sample). Berube's irresponsibility includes helping
to cast the PoMo pall (now thankfully receded) over UIUC when he was a
faculty member here - and publishing a truly awful neocon book, The
Left at War (2009), which presents Chomsky at the center of a
"Manichean Left."

Wayne's quotation is Ps. 45:8-11 (Vulgate)--

"The Lord of hosts is with us, the God of Jacob is our protector. Come
and see the works of the Lord. What wonders he has done upon the
earth, making wars to cease even to the end of the earth. He shall
destroy the bow and break the weapons, and the shield he shall burn in
the fire. Be still and see that I am God; I will be exalted among the
nations, be exalted on the earth."

A modern prophet,  the much-maligned Chomsky, points out that two
major crises are looming, nuclear war and global warming, and the US
public has a decisive role in each. That's why we are subjected to
such a barrage of corporate, government, and academic propaganda
(including the irresponsibilities of Berubes).