[Peace-discuss] Gaza bumper sticker conversation was Re: Peace-discuss Digest, Vol 95, Issue 20

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Dec 14 18:23:04 CST 2011

Hysteria's breaking out all over. This is from Glenn Greenwald today:

"New Jersey Democratic Rep. Steve Rothman called on Tom Friedman to
apologize for the comments in his column today about the Israel Lobby.
Declared Rothman: Friedman’s remarks are 'scurrilous, destructive and
harmful to Israel' and constitute 'aiding and abetting a dangerous
narrative about the US-Israel relationship and its American
supporters.' That’s just hilarious: if Tom Friedman of all people is
now so anti-Israel and borderline anti-Semitic that he needs to
publicly apologize, then you’ve reduced the accusation — and the
movement that routinely spews it — to pure caricature."

Here's Friedman's sin:

“I sure hope that Israel’s prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu,
understands that the standing ovation he got in Congress this year was
not for his politics. That ovation was bought and paid for by the
Israel lobby“ – Tom Friedman, New York Times, today.