[Peace-discuss] what if Chinese troops had a base in Texas?

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Mon Dec 26 07:04:19 CST 2011

At the moment, I am pretty sympathetic to Wayne's side of this argument.

There are certain things which in my opinion are good things to do,
which are very hard to do unless you use the coercive power of
government.

Like, a lot of us like to travel, even to Chicago. If you want to go
to Chicago, the fact that there are roads to Chicago is extremely
helpful. If you drive, you use the road. If you take a bus, you also
use the road. If you take the train, you're using a different kind of
road.

It's hard to build major roads, for buses or trains, unless you use
the coercive power of government. The roads to Chicago weren't built
by holding a bake sale, taking donations. They weren't built by
volunteer labor. They were built by taxation. Roads are a public good.
Mainstream economics says that if you don't use the coercive power of
government, you aren't going to get a socially efficient amount of
public goods, because people will "free ride" and you won't raise
enough money. I am not a libertarian on these questions. I want the
government to produce public goods and to tax people to pay for them.

But the coercive power of government is currently being abused in a
massive way. The government and the major media that support the
government on this question claim that occupying Afghanistan is a
public good, and we should all pay taxes for it. And we seem to be
having a pretty hard time turning this around.

And the question of whether "foreign aid," as it exists today, is more
like occupying Afghanistan or more like building a road to Chicago is
far from trivial. I am currently of the view that "foreign aid," as it
exists today, is, on the whole, more like occupying Afghanistan than
it is like building a road to Chicago.

There are certainly important exceptions. The UN Global Fund for AIDS,
Tuberculosis, and Malaria, which is funded by US tax dollars, is in my
opinion, much more like the road to Chicago. The Global Fund was
established by progressive anti-AIDS and development activists. It is
highly transparent: you can see exactly what it is funding. What it's
funding are mosquito nets, clinics, public health education, ARVs. All
good stuff. A very good investment in human life.

But I can't be happy with the idea that there is a black box called
"foreign aid," and as a liberal I have to support this black box,
because the black box also includes military "aid" to Israel and Egypt
and Afghanistan and Pakistan and Colombia and Mexico. This black box
is paying for the cruel deaths of many innocents. And that's just the
beginning. There is also "food aid," for example, which is
significantly about dumping the US agricultural surplus, wiping out
the livelihoods of farmers in other countries and undermining the
ability of these countries to feed themselves.

So we need to do something else besides fight over whether "foreign
aid" is "good" or "bad." We need to figure out means to fund the good
stuff and not the bad stuff.

I think we should experiment with making taxation to support "foreign
aid" more voluntary.

What if Congress were to cut the black box called "foreign aid" by
10%, but at the same time, Congress were to make it easier to donate
to the part of foreign aid that we like.

So, for example, when you fill out your federal income tax form, there
could be a section called, "Allocate U.S. foreign aid," which you
could skip if you want. If you skip it, it would not affect your taxes
at all. The section would have a series of check boxes, and by
checking some of the boxes, you'd be saying, "Yes, I want some of my
tax dollars to go to support this."

Working Assets has a voting system like this. The government does a
little bit of this, at both the federal and state level. At the
federal level, you can check a box to support public funding of
elections. At the state level, you can check a box to support benefits
for veterans and to support environmental conservation.

I think we should expand these mechanisms. It could have the effect of
building greater political support for the good part of foreign aid,
while cutting support for the evil stuff. And I think we should expand
their use on the domestic side. It could have the effect of increasing
funding for sex education, for needle exchange programs, for drug
treatment and mental health services, for reproductive health services
for poor women and women in the military, for public radio and TV, for
culture and the arts, for support for veterans. If some people want to
fund faith based initiatives and abstinence-only sex education, they
can do that too.