[Peace-discuss] Durbin & other Democrat servants of the rich

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Feb 10 23:35:56 CST 2011

First of all, it should be noted that it was the votes of Republicans (including
our own Rep. Johnson) and Teapartiers that provided the momentary stopping on
Feb. 8 of Obama's push for the re-authorization of the Patriot Act.

That suggests how a movement against the administration's foreign and domestic
policies should be built. It won't come from the business parties - certainly
not the Democrats.

That last point is underlined by the disgusting role our own Senator Durbin - a
"liberal" Democrat - is playing in regard to Social Security, as described below.

Begin forwarded message:

 > From: "Arshad Hasan" <info at democracyforamerica.com>
 > Date: February 10, 2011 2:52:31 PM CST
 > To: "Belden Fields" <a-fields at illinois.edu>
 > Subject: Are Democrats trying to lose?
 >
 > Belden -
 >
 > Yesterday I was so excited that House Democrats blocked the extension of the
Patriot Act, but now Senate Democrats are working day and night to snatch
 > defeat from the jaws of victory on Social Security.
 >
 > Just weeks after President Obama declared that cuts to Social Security were
off the table, the Wall Street Journal reports that Democratic Senators Dick Durbin
 > and Kent Conrad are working with Republicans to resurrect the right-wing
Deficit Commission's proposals to cut Social Security and give huge new tax
breaks to big corporations and the super rich.

 > This is ridiculous. Social Security is the backbone of the American middle
class. It provides millions of seniors and disabled Americans the money they
need to eat > and pay rent in their greatest time of need. We must keep Social
Security safe, stable and secure for them right now and for generations to come.

 > But it seems like some leaders just don't get it, so we're taking our
campaign to the next level -- television ads, polling, in-district rallies and
events -- whatever > it takes to share the stories of DFA members and other
Americans across the country who depend on Social Security.

 > We're going to make sure that every American knows who is attacking Social
Security and how to stop them...