[Peace-discuss] Library Association letter in Support of Workers' Rights

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 17:55:31 CST 2011

[This is so exciting! Professional associations are making statements
about workers' rights.
My own professional association, the American Library Association, is
one example: -karen medina]

Subject: ALA Statement in Support of Workers' Rights
February 24, 2011
CHICAGO -  As thousands protest proposed collective bargaining
legislation in Wisconsin, Michigan and Indiana, American Library
Association (ALA) President Roberta Stevens released the following
statement in support of those standing up for workers rights.

"While governments are facing financial challenges, addressing
deficits should not serve as an opportunity to strip away the hard-won
right of workers to collectively bargain," said Stevens.

As library visits continue to soar, with job seekers and families
turning to our libraries to gain new skills and free access to
education resources, the value of library service and staff should be
recognized and protected.

The ALA supports library employees in seeking equitable compensation
and recognizes the principle of collective bargaining as an important
element of successful labor-management relations. We affirm the right
of employees to organize and bargain collectively with their
employers, without fear of reprisal. These are basic workers' rights
that we defend for thousands of academic, public and school library
professionals.