[Peace-discuss] CNN finds Tea Party support for war same as Rs

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Tue Jan 4 16:05:05 CST 2011

>From reading other polls in the past, I would expect them to be highly
correlated. But correlation is not necessarily causation, and I would
expect much of the causation runs the other way - if you oppose the
war, and someone asks you if you think it's going well, you are more
likely to say no. In addition, if you oppose the war, you are more
receptive to bad news about it, and conversely. And you are more
likely to be exposed to bad news about it, etc.

Another element: over time, there is a chunk of the population that is
totally opposed to the Empire, and a chunk that totally supports the
Empire, and a swing group in the middle. The constant groups, by
definition, are not going to be swayed much by good or bad news. It's
the swing group that moves.

After Reagan bombed Libya, when you could scarcely find an iota of
criticism anywhere in the media or public discourse, and it was all
rah rah go USA, there was a poll that showed something like 17-19%
opposed to the bombing. So that's one measure of the hard core
opposition: no amount of media hysterics will move 20% of the
population to support bombing other people's countries. I would guess,
from reading other polls, that African-Americans comprise a
disproportionate share of that 20%.