[Peace-discuss] Be careful what you assume…

Morton K. Brussel mkb3 at mac.com
Thu Jan 20 09:49:49 CST 2011

I too have used Eisenhower's words in hopes that they be taken literally from someone who understood the perils of militarism, but Wolff explains why to do this is to give a false image of Eisenhower.

Eisenhower's "warnings about military overreach were couched, it's usually forgotten, in passages insisting on the need for a military of unprecedented size." The famous final warning about the military-industrial complex is the best example: It was immediately followed by words that are typically ignored: "We recognize the imperative need for this development [of the complex].... Our arms must be mighty, ready for instant action" because the communist threat "promises to be of indefinite duration."

 http://www.truth-out.org/how-one-paragraph-a-single-speech-has-skewed-eisenhower-record66953