[Peace-discuss] Venice & misleaders

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Jan 23 09:12:55 CST 2011

B that as it may, the task is to call things by their right names.

Our state-worship is such that we can be horrified by the killing of
nine-year-old and others in Tucson and not even notice that the government we're
supposed to be responsible for killed a child just like her at the same time.
(But we were stopping terrorism.)

I'm not suggesting a new do(d)ge for restricting political responsibility.  I am
appalled that Bush and Blair - and Obama, Clinton, et al. back to Reagan and
Thatcher and many more are honored without recognition of what they've done.

But we misunderestimate the problem if we think a Blair Witch Hunt can solve
it.  It's a peculiarly 20th-century infantilism to think that the crimes of our
governments can be reduced to the machinations of a few evil people.  Were that
true, the solution would be evident - but it's been tried, without notable success.

A now-forgotten historian wrote of a now-forgotten politician, "He had a head to
contrive, a tongue to persuade, and a hand to execute any mischief." Such people
seem to turn up with a certain regularity. Chomsky said in the first speech I
ever heard him give, "Unfortunately you can't vote the rascals out, because you
never voted them in, in the first place ... these people remain in power no
matter whom you elect and furthermore it is interesting to note that this ruling
elite is pretty clear about its social role."

But I don't get the reference(s) in your last paragraph. Elucidation, please? --CGE