[Peace-discuss] who wants a US Boat to Gaza t-shirt?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Jul 5 22:32:47 CDT 2011

See Chomsky on the role of the prophet - like Isaiah - then and now:

"The word 'prophet' is a very bad translation of an obscure Hebrew word, navi.
Nobody knows what it means. But today they'd be called dissident intellectuals.
They were giving geopolitical analysis, arguing that the acts of the rulers were
going to destroy society. And they condemned the acts of evil kings. They called
for justice and mercy to orphans and widows and so on.

"I don't want to say it was all beautiful. Dissident intellectuals aren't all
beautiful. You read Sakharov, who is sometimes appalling. Or Solzhenitsyn. And
the nivi'im were treated the way dissident intellectuals always are. They
weren't praised. They weren't honored. They were imprisoned like Jeremiah. They
were driven into the desert. They were hated. Now at the time, there were
intellectuals, 'prophets,' who were very well treated. They were the flatterers
of the court. Centuries later, they were called 'false prophets.'

"People who criticize power in the Jewish community are regarded the way Ahab
treated Elijah: You're a traitor. You've got to serve power. You can't argue
that the policies that Israel is following are going to lead to its destruction,
which I thought then and still do...

"I particularly admired [Amos'] comments that he's not an intellectual ...' I'm
not a prophet, I'm not the son of a prophet, I'm a simple shepherd.' So he
translated 'prophet' correctly. He's saying, 'I'm not an intellectual.' He was a
simple farmer and he wanted just to tell the truth. I admire that."