[Peace-discuss] no thanks, with a grateful heart.

Morton K. Brussel brussel at illinois.edu
Sat Jul 23 12:22:51 CDT 2011

Good for him!

Our kids (and hence adults as well) are brought up to honor and respect the military (as is true in most countries), so it is without surprise that there is no dearth of military volunteers, even without the financial or economic "benefits" they may receive in economic tough times.

The answer may be to get rid of jingoistic nationalism, something hard to conceive of;  it has always been part of human nature/society/condition. It is of course encouraged by rulers.

Love, or pride,  of where you were born, or live is something else, but unfortunately too often ends up as a kind of exceptionalism that has unfortunate and inhumane consequences.

--mkb