[Peace-discuss] Fw: Jenifer, ask Rep. Johnson not to let poor and working shoulder the entire burden

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 28 12:48:43 CDT 2011

--- On Wed, 7/27/11, Rashad Robinson, ColorOfChange.org <info at colorofchange.org> wrote:

From: Rashad Robinson, ColorOfChange.org <info at colorofchange.org>
Subject: Jenifer, ask Rep. Johnson not to let poor and working shoulder the entire burden
To: "Jenifer Cartwright" <jencart13 at yahoo.com>
Date: Wednesday, July 27, 2011, 12:02 PM

Help ensure that poor and working folks don't shoulder the entire burden of deficit reduction.
 Place a call to Rep. Johnson today!

Dear Jenifer,

With each passing day, America inches closer to defaulting on the nation's debts — and wrecking the economy — due to Republicans' refusal to negotiate in good faith with President Obama and Congressional Democrats.

For now, Democrats have adopted an approach that wouldn't cut Medicare, Social Security, and Medicaid. But other critical elements of the social safety net could still be in danger, and the Republican plan would mean major cuts to these programs. Just as bad, neither side seems willing to ask corporations, millionaires and billionaires to pay their fair share.

Can you make a quick call to your member of Congress asking them to oppose a debt ceiling deal that asks poor and working folks to shoulder the biggest burden? Just click the link to make your call — we'll even give you a short script you can use:

http://act.colorofchange.org/call/debtcalls

It appears the two proposals offered by Sen. Harry Reid and Speaker John Boehner on Monday won't include immediate cuts to Social Security or Medicare. But Boehner's plan would require major entitlement cuts down the road,1 and we don't yet know what other important programs either plan would cut.

Just as bad, Congress may pass a bill that won't ask millionaires, billionaires, and corporations to pay their fair share of taxes despite the fact that more than 70% of Americans — solid majorities of both parties and independent voters — think it's the right approach.2

It's not too late for our voices to make a difference. It increasingly appears that Speaker John Boehner, who is leading negotiations for Republicans in the House of Representatives, may not be able to get enough Republicans to vote to increase the debt ceiling no matter what kinds of concessions the Democrats offer.3

That could give Democrats in the House of Representatives a great deal of influence over what's in the final agreement. If enough Democratic representatives stand strong, we can stop major cuts to the social safety net while making sure that poor and working folks don't shoulder the heaviest burden of paying down the national debt.

And no matter their party affiliation, every member of Congress needs to feel the pressure to do the right thing — please call today.

http://act.colorofchange.org/call/debtcalls
Thanks and Peace,
-- Rashad, James, Gabriel, William, Dani, Matt, Natasha and the rest of the ColorOfChange.org team
    July 27th, 2011
Help support our work. ColorOfChange.org is powered by YOU--your energy and dollars. We take no money from lobbyists or large corporations that don't share our values, and our tiny staff ensures your contributions go a long way. You can contribute here:
http://www.colorofchange.org/donate