[Peace-discuss] Nonviolent resistance

Ron Szoke r-szoke at illinois.edu
Thu Jul 28 15:26:05 CDT 2011

From: Ken Southwood <jksouthwood at grandecom.net>
Date: Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 8:37 AM
Subject: Sharp

The nonviolent protests in Tunisia and Egypt followed the principles laid
out by Gene Sharp in his little book "From Dictatorship to Democracy."
I have given a talk on this book here, twice, in meeting and at a small
U-U church. He advocates nonviolent overthrow of dictators and gives
strategies and tactics for this, based on the principle that rulers,
whoever they are, require people to do obey, and if they don't, the
dictators collapse.

I have offered to give a talk on this after meeting on Sunday 31st, and
U-C Friends have accepted.  Janet and I leave for Chicago on Thursday; we
can meet with Friends in between.  Let Paul know or call Janet's cell at
210-279-3719.

               Ken

-- forwarded by Jay M.

The Friends (Quaker) meetinghouse is at 1904 E Main St., U.  The regular
worship service -- usually silent -- begins at 10:30 am.  There is no
liturgy or ritual other than being seated in a circle, remaining silent until
someone feels moved to speak.  Often no one does.

-- posted by Ron Szoke