[Peace-discuss] Gates: Congress can talk if it wants, but the war will go on

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Jun 3 20:40:47 CDT 2011

Gates Slams Kucinich Over ‘Dangerous’ Call to End Libya War
Says 'Unilateral' Move to End War Would Hurt the Troops
by Jason Ditz, June 02, 2011

In a statement issued today by the Pentagon, Secretary of Defense Robert Gates
blasted Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D – OH) over his bill which would order President
Obama to end the illegal war in Libya.

Gates argued that since the war is now NATO-led and the US is a part of NATO
they are obliged to continue fighting the war regardless of Congressional
opposition, adding that a move to “unilaterally abandon” the war would have
“dangerous long term consequences.”

Kucinich’s bill points out that President Obama failed to get Congressional
approval within 60 days of starting the war and demands a quick end to America’s
involvement. The bill has been indefinitely delayed by House Republican
leadership over concerns that it would pass if it came to a vote. Kucinich can
still force a vote as soon as next week.

Gates’ statement cautioned that a Congressional demand to end the war would
“send an unhelpful message of disunity” to the troops involved in fighting it.
The statement also said it was important for Congress to have a “legitimate
policy debate without needlessly undermining our military operations.”