[Peace-discuss] Talking points

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Jun 15 11:41:41 CDT 2011

[1] There is no doubt that concentrated private capital closely linked to the
state has substantial resources, but on the other hand we shouldn’t overlook the
fact that quite a bit has been achieved through public struggles in the U.S.
over the years. In many respects this remains an unusually free country. The
state has limited power to coerce, compared with many other countries, which is
a very good thing. Many rights have been won, even in the past generation, and
that provides a legacy from which we can move on. Struggling for freedom and
justice has never been easy, but it has achieved progress; I don’t think we
should assume that there are any particular limits.

[2] At the moment we can’t realistically talk about challenging global capital,
because the movements that might undertake such a task are far too scattered and
atomized and focused on particular issues. But we can try to confront directly
what global capital is doing right now and, on the basis of that, move on to
further achievements. For example, it’s no big secret that in the past thirty
years there has been enormous concentration of wealth in a very tiny part of the
population, 1 percent or even one-tenth of 1 percent, and that has conferred
extraordinary political power on a very tiny minority, primarily those who
control financial capital, but also more broadly on the executive and managerial
classes. At the same time, for the majority of the population, incomes have
pretty much stagnated, working hours have increased, benefits have declined —
they were never very good — and people are angry, hostile, and very upset. Many
people distrust institutions, all of them; it’s a volatile period, and it’s a
period which could move in a very dangerous direction — there are analogues,
after all — but it could also provide opportunities to educate and organize and
carry things forward. One may have a long-term goal of confronting global
capital, but there have to be small steps along the way before you could even
think of undertaking a challenge of that magnitude in a realistic way.

[3] One failing of the social movements that I’ve noticed over many years is
that while they are focusing on extremely crucial and important social issues
like women’s rights, environmental protections, and so on, they have tended to
ignore or downplay the economic and social crises faced by working people. It’s
not that they are completely ignored, but they are downplayed. And that has to
be overcome, and there are ways to do it.

[4] Take Obama’s virtual takeover of the auto industry. There were several
options at that point. One option, which the Obama administration chose, was to
restore the old order, assist in the closing of plants, the shifting of
production abroad and so on, and maybe get a functioning auto industry again.
Another option would have been to take over those plants — plants that are being
dismantled — and convert them to things that are very badly needed in the
country, like high-speed rail — it’s a scandal that the United States doesn’t
have this kind of infrastructure, which many other countries have developed. In
fact at the very time that Obama was closing down plants in the Midwest, his
transportation secretary was in Europe trying to get contracts from Spain for
high-speed rail construction, which could have been done in those very plants
that were being dismantled.

[5] My own guess is that efforts that are undertaken at the national level make
sense if they’re connected to a program of local organizing. I think we’re very
far from being able to carry out large-scale changes at the national level. You
could see the limitations of a national campaign in the 2008 election. A
tremendous amount of energy and excitement was generated, but it was clear from
the beginning that it was going to head toward severe disillusionment because
there was nothing real there — it was based on illusion. And when people
dedicate themselves and work hard to try to bring about something that is
illusory, there’s going to be a negative effect, which in fact happened, so
there’s been tremendous disillusionment, apathy, pulling away, and so on. I
think we should be careful to set realistic goals — they don’t have to succeed,
but if they fail, the failure itself can be used as a basis to go on, and that’s
not the case when you get involved in national electoral politics.

[6] It’s not a great secret that the business classes in the United States,
which are always fighting a bitter class war and are highly class-conscious,
have been dedicated to destroying unions ever since the 1930s. And they’ve
succeeded considerably in the private sphere, but not yet as successfully in the
public sphere, and that’s what’s being targeted now: a major effort, a
propaganda effort — the media are participating, both parties are involved — to
try and undermine public unions. And that’s one of the points on this attack on
public working people, turning them into the criminals that were responsible for
the fiscal crisis. Not Goldman Sachs, but the teachers and policemen and so on.

[7] The crucial issue there was whether to extend Bush’s tax cuts for the very
wealthy. The population was strongly opposed to that, maybe two to one, but the
Democrats and Obama, instead of making use of that fact to try to eliminate that
huge tax break for the rich, went along with it. At the same time, both parties
were trying to outdo each other and screaming about the danger of the federal
deficit, when the fact of the matter is that we ought to be having a deficit in
a time of recession. It’s an incredible propaganda achievement, for the
Republicans particularly, to advocate a tax cut for the very wealthy that is
extremely unpopular and that will of course substantially increase the deficit,
and at the very same time present themselves as deficit hawks who are trying to
protect future generations. But that’s only part of it, because at the very same
time, Obama declared a tax increase for federal workers — it was called a pay
freeze, but a pay freeze for workers in the public sector is the same as a tax
increase on those workers. So here, a lot of shouting about how we’re cutting
taxes and overcoming the deficit, and at the same time we’re raising taxes on
public-sector workers.

[8] There is a large propaganda campaign to try to undermine the public sector:
demonizing teachers, police, and firemen with all kinds of fabrications about
how they are overpaid, when in fact they’re underpaid relative to the skill
levels in the private sector — denouncing their pensions and so on. These are
major propaganda efforts, a kind of class war, and that ought to be combated,
and I think that public opinion can be organized to combat it. Those are very
concrete things that are happening right now, like the possibility of ending the
closing down of factories and the mass suffering that it leads to, and turning
that into something really radical: mainly worker self-managed production for
human needs.

[9] I don’t know that one should necessarily take a strong stand on whether it
should be a third party or change the Democratic Party — both are options. After
all, the New Deal did succeed in changing the Democratic Party through the
mechanism of popular activism. I’m not coming out in favor of working inside the
Democratic Party or opposing working inside the Democratic Party, I’m just
saying I don’t see a point in taking a strong stand on that question. If it can
be done inside the party, fine; if it can’t be done, do it outside. In fact,
it’s a little bit like a standard progressive approach to reformist goals — the
goal is to press institutional structures to their limits. If in fact they can’t
be pressed any further, and people understand that, then you have the basis for
going onto something more far-reaching.

[10] The looming global environmental crisis raises questions of species
survival. It’s very urgent right now ... There has been a major corporate
propaganda offensive, quite openly announced, to try to convince people that the
environmental crisis is a liberal hoax. And it’s had some success, according to
the latest polls. The percentage of Americans who believe in anthropogenic
global warming, human effects on climate change, is down to about a third. This
is an extremely dangerous situation: it’s imminent; we have to do something
about it right now.

[11] There are other issues that deserve our immediate attention. The threat of
nuclear war is very serious, and in fact is being increased by government
policy. Right now one of the more interesting revelations from the WikiLeaks
cables has to do with Pakistan: it’s obvious from the cables that the U.S.
ambassador is well aware that the actions that the Obama administration is
taking with regard to Afghanistan and Pakistan are increasing a very serious
threat to the stability of Pakistan itself, and are raising the possibility, not
trivial, that the country might fall apart, and that its huge store of nuclear
weapons might end up in the hands of radical Islamists. I know there’s not a
high probability, but it’s conceivable, and what we’re doing is accelerating
that threat. Also, supporting India’s huge nuclear weapons buildup and blocking
efforts supported by almost the entire world to move toward a nuclear
weapons-free zone in the extremely volatile Middle East region — those are
issues of great importance.

[12] We should explain to people that not only is it not in their interest to
diss other people, but it’s also morally and intellectually wrong. For example,
one of the greatest dangers is secular religion — state worship. That’s a far
more destructive factor in world affairs than religious belief, and it’s common
on the Left. So you take a look at the very people who are passionately
advocating struggling for atheism and repeating arguments that most of us
understood when we were teenagers — those very same people are involved in
highly destructive and murderous state worship, not all of them but some. Does
that mean we should diss them? No, it means we should try to explain it to them.

[13] Critical analysis of Israeli policies is one of the most popular issues on
campus now. However, my own view is that the real issue for us is not what
Israel is doing but what the United States is doing — it’s in our hands to
determine how this turns out. If the United States continues to lend completely
uncritical support to the Israeli policies of expanding their control and
domination, as is in fact happening, that’s what will eventuate. But that can
change. And it can change by bringing the American population — Jewish and
non-Jewish — to recognize that these U.S. government policies are unacceptable
and have to be reversed. If the U.S. were induced or compelled by popular
opinion to join the world on this issue, and I thoroughly mean that, then there
could be a short-term resolution — not the end of the story, but at least
significant improvement — by at least moving to a two-state settlement stage and
an ongoing longer process. I think that’s quite realistic.

[14] The US population is by no means unified on Israel/Palestine. In fact, the
majority of the population favors the formation of a Palestinian state, and our
goal should be to organize the population so that the popular will is expressed
in state actions. This has happened in the past: it happened on South Africa. I
mean, the Reagan administration was strongly supporting apartheid, condemning
the ANC as a major terrorist organization, and within a couple of years it
shifted. The same thing happened with East Timor — as major atrocities continued
through 1999, the Clinton administration continued supporting the Indonesian
atrocities strongly, and then, rather suddenly, under international and domestic
pressure it shifted position.

[15] By now there is a growing section inside the military and inside
intelligence that is pulling for an end to U.S. support for Israeli
intransigence because it’s harming U.S. operations in the field. If that spreads
to the population, it could lead to a major wave of anti-Semitism. There are
lots of differences among the cases, but the point is that policies can change,
and my own sense is that even within the Jewish community, younger Jews are
drifting away because what Israel is doing is just intolerable to their general
liberal attitudes; I think we should welcome that move and try to direct it
toward changing U.S. policy.

[Edited from
<http://www.tikkun.org/nextgen/overcoming-despair-as-the-republicans-take-over-a-conversation-with-noam-chomsky>.]