[Peace-discuss] 2L4O

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Mar 1 19:42:00 CST 2011

[I'm glad to say that there's been a segment of AWARE saying this ever since
Obama ran for the Senate. --CGE]

http://www.onlineprnews.com/news/111188-1298864749-notables-on-left-don-2l4o-tshirts-to-express-dissatisfaction-with-president-obama.html

"2L4O" T-shirts
Obama's left/liberal critics make a fashion statement of their disapproval of
his policies

Online PR News -- 01-March-2011 --WASHINGTON, DC --- In one sign that Barack
Obama has alienated the left, more than a dozen blogs now promote union-made
"2L4O: Too Liberal for Obama" and "2L4O: Too Left for Obama" T-shirts.

Blogs publicizing 2L4O shirts---which were originated by Boston-based blogger
"Vastleft"---include Correntewire, Black Agenda Report, and Avedon Carol's The
Sideshow.

The shirts are worn by such notables as peace activist Cindy Sheehan,
black-issues activist/editor Bruce A. Dixon, single payer health care advocate
Dr. Margaret Flowers, and historian Paul Street.

Today, 2L4O.com is proud to share statements from each of them about the
timeliness and relevance of the 2L4O message.

* * *

_Peace activist Cindy Sheehan explains why she's "2L4O":_

Barack Obama ran under the banner of "change," and there has been a change since
George W. Bush moved out of the White House and Obama moved in---there is far
less outrage from so-called liberals about the policies of militarism and
corporate exploitation.

Today, the war in Afghanistan burns ever hotter, as we send more of our young
people to kill and die for no legitimate reason. We kill still more via
drones---unmanned planes that murder civilians by the dozens. Since Obama's
election, the part of America that cares about such things has grown even smaller.

If a Nobel Peace Prize winner waging constant war on countless fronts is not
Orwellian enough, he also reclassified America's occupying troops in Iraq as
"advisors."

Under Obama, we see the same institutionalized lack of accountability as under
Bush, but now with increased abuse of peace activists and whistleblowers.

About all this, the silence is more deafening than ever. Sadly, many who once
claimed commitment to peace and justice are content, so long as their preferred
party is in charge.

Both major parties label anyone who challenges the bipartisan consensus as
fringe extremists. To be humane is now to be an "extremist." To be "2L4O" (Too
Left/Liberal for Obama) is unthinkable to both parties. Maybe it's time to rethink.

* * *

_Black-issues activist/editor Bruce A. Dixon, whose website promotes the shirts,
explains why he's "2L4O":_

Black Agenda Report, where I am Managing Editor, was among the first
political-commentary outlets to observe something that many Americans are now
belatedly and reluctantly concluding: that Barack Obama is an attractive
repackaging of the status quo.

Obama puts a reassuring "post-racial" face on policies designed to further
marginalize the marginalized.

 From healthcare "reform" that's a thinly veiled bailout for the insurance
industry to surges in Afghanistan, expansion of the prison state, and boundless
infringement of civil liberties, Obama reliably does the bidding of the powerful
at the expense of the rest of us.

For the black community, the celebrated symbolism of Obama's presidency is a
Pyrrhic victory. We shouldn't allow commemorative plates to distract us from the
growing number of empty plates.

Progress in America has been hard-won, and it's been won from the left, the side
that the Obama administration flagrantly dismisses. If you're not "2L4O" (Too
Left/Liberal for Obama), are you on the left at all?

* * *

_Single payer health care activist Dr. Margaret Flowers explains why she's "2L4O":_

When President Obama was elected, I expected an open and honest debate about
what the real problems are with health care in this nation and the most
effective ways to solve those problems. The United States has been in an
increasing health care crisis for decades with a growing number of people who
have no health insurance or who pay high premiums for health insurance that
doesn't cover them when they need it. Even with health insurance, people are
going bankrupt because of illness and are suffering and dying from preventable
causes.

I expected that a single payer approach, modeled on our own Medicare which has
improved the health of seniors and has lifted them out of poverty for 45 years,
would be part of the discussion. President Obama supported a single payer health
program when he was a state senator.

Instead, the health reform process was closed and scripted so that the final
legislation benefits the corporations that profit from the health industry more
than it helps the people who need care. The health bill passed by a Democrat
majority is based on policy developed by Republicans. President Obama missed an
important opportunity to address a very real and serious problem in this nation.

This is a pattern that we see when it comes to all of the issues that have a
real impact on the lives of the people in America---education, jobs, peace, the
environment, food and the economy. Instead of focusing on real solutions that
benefit the people, President Obama further enriches large corporations.

I consider myself a commonsense person who wants to see solutions that are based
on the evidence of what works. Single payer has been proven to work at home as
Medicare and in other industrialized nations. Single payer covers everybody and
saves money.

As a doctor, I believe it would be irresponsible to prescribe treatments for my
patients that have been proven not to work.

The President's health bill doubles down on for-profit health insurance, a
system proven to limit coverage and foster runaway costs.

I support a cure that's both proven and affordable: single payer/Medicare for all.

I guess that being a pragmatist when it comes to public policy makes me "2L4O"
(Too Left/Liberal for Obama).

* * *

_Historian Paul Street explains why he's "2L4O":_

How could any real lefty or liberal not be 2L4O (Too Left/Liberal for Obama)?

Having watched Obama coming up in Chicago and at the Iowa Caucuses, it's been
clear from the outset that he's deeply conservative. But many have been, and
remain, in denial about that.

As I documented in my books "Barack Obama and the Future of American Politics"
and "The Empire's New Clothes: Barack Obama in the Real World of Power," Obama
re-brands much of the George W. Bush agenda with marketing designed to seduce
progressives.

Policies as awful as---and sometimes worse than---ones the left properly railed
against under Bush suddenly became acceptable with Obama at the helm. There
seems to be no limit to this, with Obama even attacking Social Security and
claiming the right to assassinate American citizens!

A necessary step to re-energizing a policy (and not personality) focused left is
to break the taboo on admitting that Obama is not of the left and that we do not
support his politics, the politics of empire and corporate greed.

If it sounds radical to declare yourself "2L4O," that's a measure of how far we
have to go to reclaim a true left-oriented politics.

###