[Peace-discuss] Obama and Bush incompetent?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Mar 1 20:21:24 CST 2011

[Bill Blum quotes Richard K. Moore to indicate how the political class buy
Rep/Dem propaganda.]

"The presumption of 'government incompetence' is seldom a useful assumption in
evaluating the behavior of governments. We only reach such a conclusion if we
take their official rhetoric at face value. In terms of 'achieving democracy',
the official rhetoric, Bush has been 'incompetent' in Iraq. But in terms of the
real agenda — building permanent bases and controlling the oil — he has in fact
been successful. I have found that this is always the pattern: some real agenda
is always being achieved by the policies in force, despite the apparent bungling
in terms of the official agenda" - the "official agenda" being the USG
propaganda account.

This is nothing new. The leading intellectual in the US foreign policy
establishment, George Kennan, wrote in 1948 in a top-secret paper (State
Department Policy Planning Staff #23) - in the course of assigning each region
of the world its proper role within the overarching framework of American power
- that the basic policy goal is to maintain the "position of disparity" that
separates our enormous wealth from the poverty of others; and to achieve that
goal "We should cease to talk about vague and ... unreal objectives such as
human rights, the raising of the living standards, and democratization,"
recognizing that we must "deal in straight power concepts," not "hampered by
idealistic slogans" about "altruism and world-benefaction." The idealistic
slogans woud be saved for the official propaganda.