[Peace-discuss] Thomas Friedman's Inanities

"E. Wayne Johnson 朱稳森" ewj at pigs.ag
Fri Mar 4 22:43:14 CST 2011

Since I can see both the "Bird Nest" (2008 Olympic Stadium) and the
accompanying Pangu Hotel from the northwest window of the office at
Madianqiao, and seeing that many have taken in hand to write about the
effect of the Beijing Olympics on the world, I had better set this
matter straight.

I am sure that most of you are familiar with that particular enhancement
of chaotic chain of events called the "Butterfly Effect".  The notion is
that a butterfly flapping its wings on the west side of Beijing might
alter the singularly lousy weather in some place as remote as Winnipeg.
No doubt the Manitoban hosers are profusely cursing Beijingers and their
meddlesome Lepidopteran qingren and tongzhimen with each infernal
invernal vagary.

But actually in this case it is not a "butterfly effect" or the gyring
gypsy moth that gypped Egypt's Gaddhafan general, but rather a "mosquito
effect", the tale of how the flapping of a mosquito's wings resulted in
revolution in a far off land.

Lao Chen, a retired jidanbing cook living in the environs of the Madian
neighborhood just inside the north 3rd ring road was enjoying a hot cup
of tea in the courtyard with his friends one evening when suddenly they
were all distracted by the fireworks celebration accompanying the
opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympics.  He watched the fireworks
display going on north of his home with his five-year old granddaughter
and forgot his rapidly cooling tea, now open and exposed to the elements.

While the tea cooled, its delicate scent attracted mosquitoes who laid
eggs in the lukewarm fluid.  Due to the warmth of the tea and the unique
chemistry, the eggs hatched and developed from hatchling larva to
pupation in less than one hour.  After all the oohing and ahhing
associated with the pyrotechnics, Lao Chen was athirst, and finding his
now cold tea, downed it in one gulp, unaware of the mosquito peril
lurking within.

The mosquitoes immediately began to hatch inside Chen's empty stomach
and began biting him in the stomach, causing him to develop an
incredible itch.  It was the worst itching he had ever felt in his
life.  He rushed up to his 7th floor apartment where his wife was
slicing vegetables.  She suggested that vinegar might stop the itch.  It
failed.  Finally they tried corn flakes and baking soda to scratch the
itch. He ate a whole box of dry corn flakes.

But now that mixture was reacting in his bowels and he developed gas
pains, unbearable gas pain.  He sought in vain for some way to relieve
it.  Just then his granddaughter dropped a chopstick on the floor and
bending to pick it up, his problem was suddenly resolved.

Chen's wife upbraided him mercilessly for his flatulent indiscretion,
and the uproar distracted drivers on the 3rd ring road causing a 43-car
pileup and the Egyptian revolution.