[Peace-discuss] No fly ones over Libya?

Morton K. Brussel brussel at illinois.edu
Sat Mar 5 17:47:14 CST 2011

From Phyllis Bennis:  http://www.ips-dc.org/articles/dont_no-fly_libya

… Humanitarian crises simply do not shape U.S. policy. If they did, we might have heard a bit more last week when the Baghdad government  -- armed, financed, trained, and supported by the United States -- killed 29 Iraqi civilians demonstrating against corruption. We might have seen humanitarian involvement in the Democratic Republic of Congo, where millions of civilians have been killed in Africa’s longest and perhaps most brutal war. And we might have seen, if not direct U.S. intervention, at least an end to the U.S. enabling of the Israeli assault on Gaza that killed more than 900 civilians, 313 of them children.…