[Peace-discuss] Japanese warning

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat Mar 12 20:46:24 CST 2011

    Published on Saturday, March 12, 2011 by the Associated Press
    Huge Rally in Germany: 'Nuclear Power? No Thanks!'

BERLIN - An explosion at a Japanese nuclear power plant has given new fuel to a
long-running dispute over the technology's future in Germany, where thousands on
Saturday demonstrated against plans to extend the life of the country's nuclear
power stations.

Organizers said tens of thousands formed a human chain between the
Neckarwestheim nuclear plant and the southwestern city of Stuttgart, which are
28 miles (45 kilometers) appart- some waving yellow flags with the slogan
"Nuclear power - no thanks." Police didn't immediately give a figure.

The demonstration was planned long before the post-earthquake blast at Japan's
Fukushima Dai-ichi plant, but the fears of possible disaster gave an added focus
to opponents of the technology in Germany.

Saturday's explosion destroyed a building housing the reactor, but a radiation
leak was decreasing despite fears of a meltdown from damage caused by a powerful
earthquake and tsunami, officials in Japan said.

Germany's government last year decided to extend the life of its 17 nuclear
plans for an average 12 extra years. A previous government had said it wanted
them all shut by 2021.

While Germany - unlike some of its European Union partners - has no plans to
build any new plants, the extension was divisive.

The mishap in Japan, which comes two weeks before a closely fought state
election in the region where Saturday's protest was held, prompted new criticism
from the opposition.

Events at Fukushima "show that, even in a high-tech country like Japan that is
equipped for all eventualities, nuclear power is an uncontrollable, highly
dangerous, risky technology," the leadership of the opposition Greens said in a
statement.

Matthias Miersch, a lawmaker with the main opposition Social Democrats, urged
the government to scrap immediately the decision to extend German nuclear
plants' lives. The third opposition party, the Left Party, called for a
worldwide moratorium on expanding nuclear power capacity.

Nuclear energy has been unpopular in Germany since an explosion at a nuclear
reactor at Chernobyl, Ukraine, in 1986, sent a cloud of radiation over much of
Europe.

Chancellor Angela Merkel, however, has argued that Germany needs to keep nuclear
energy for now as a "bridging technology" until it has developed more renewable
power sources.

Her deputy, Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle, on Saturday pushed aside
questions about the government's nuclear policy.

With thousands likely dead or missing in Japan, "Germany's first answer can't be
that ... a political argument breaks out here because there are state election
campaigns going on," he said.

Merkel's center-right coalition faces a tight battle to keep control of the
regional government in Baden-Wuerttemberg in a March 27 election, and two other
votes also are looming.

© 2011 Associated Press