[Peace-discuss] Japanese warning

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Mar 14 13:27:18 CDT 2011

March 14, 2011
Japan: The Reactor Risk

Posted by Elizabeth Kolbert

The United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission does not have a listing for
“meltdown” in its glossary of terms. The closest you get is “core melt
accident,” which the NRC defines as “an event or sequence of events that result
in the melting of part of the fuel in the reactor core.” In the case of a “core
melt accident,” a reactor’s nuclear fuel rods overheat and, at a temperature of
several thousand degrees, quite literally begin to melt.

The Three Mile Island disaster, in 1979, is often described as a “partial core
meltdown.” In that case, the reactor vessel, which houses the reactor behind
thick walls of steel and concrete, was not breached. The Chernobyl disaster, in
1986, resulted in a rupture of the reactor vessel and the wide dispersal of
radioactive particles. However, since Russian reactor design is very different
from American (and Japanese), most experts argue that the Chernobyl accident
does not offer much information that is useful outside of Russia. (I wrote about
another plant, Indian Point, in 2003.)

The obvious worry about the damaged reactors in Japan is that one or more of
them will suffer a complete meltdown—however you define that. (It seems that two
have already probably suffered “partial meltdowns.”) What would happen then is
not entirely clear, which in itself is rather terrifying. A great deal, it
seems, would depend on the strength and integrity of the reactor vessels. The
plant’s secondary containment buildings have already been breached by
explosions. Japanese officials are apparently very worried about the
unfortunately very real possibility of meltdown; this is why they have flooded
the damaged reactors with seawater. Although they seem to be trying to downplay
the risks from the damaged plants, their actions suggest that they believe the
risks of (further) catastrophe to be significant.

Read more
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2011/03/japan-the-reactor-risk.html?printable=true&currentPage=all#ixzz1GbFOxWIb