[Peace-discuss] 4pm today 3/15: Re: NPRE to Host Seminar on Japanese Nuclear Accident

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 11:56:52 CDT 2011

>> "Evolving Issues Regarding Japan's Damaged Nuclear Plants"
>> from the chair of UofI's Dept. of Nuclear, Plasma and Radiological
>> Engineering

> Post an account if you go.  --CGE

The room was packed. The room probably sits 200 plus there were easily
50 people sitting in the aisles and standing.

There were physicists standing near me and Stuart, so we overheard
some other comments as well as the information from the three
professors who spoke. It started off a bit like a lecture, but then
moved to question and answer. Then a bit more information on a few
things, then back to question and answers. The audience ranged from
nuclear physicists to undergraduates to humanities graduate students.
There were a high number of people who probably had family and friends
in Japan and China.

One particular diagram was very helpful. The distinction between a one
(steam) and two (hot water, then steam) circuit was made early on.
Both have a turbine turned by steam, but the one circuit system
releases pressure by letting the steam out a one-way valve. The 6
plants in Japan that are having troubles are all of the one circuit
type. Which, they were saying, is a good thing.

The nuclear reactions were stopped when the earthquake hit but it
takes a long time to cool the material down. Water in the primary tank
is vital while reacting and vital to cooling it down when the reaction
is stopped. If the water in the primary tank (the first area outside
of the nuclear chamber) drops below the level of the rods inside, then
the nuclear material will go molten. The molten material is likely to
crack just about any and all containers around it, including the
stainless steel of the primary chamber and the thick concrete wall of
the dry chamber and the 5 foot thick concrete wall in the outer outer
chamber.

Electricity is needed to pump water into this primary chamber. As the
pressure builds inside the chamber, it is harder to pump more water
in. Hypothetically, the dry chamber can also be filled with water.

Nuclear explosion is unlikely.

Hydrogen comes from several places, including from the water.

Radioactive Iodine is produced. In the body of humans and other
animals, the radioactive iodine will bind tighter. So to protect the
body, you basically saturate your system with regular iodine and make
sure your levels stay high so you don't absorb the radioactive iodine.

These plants will not ever be usable again.

[There is loads more information, but I'll stop here so people can
correct me - karen medina]