[Peace-discuss] Congress votes for war

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Mar 17 14:52:40 CDT 2011

With its usual disregard for democracy, the House of Representatives today voted
against Rep. Kucinich's resolution, "directing the President, pursuant to
section 5(c) of the War Powers Resolution, to remove the United States Armed
Forces from Afghanistan" - in spite of the fact that polls consistently show
two-thirds of the electorate are opposed to the war.

A solid majority of the Democrats (99-85) voted FOR the war (i.e., against
Kucinich's resolution).

Eight Republicans voted AGAINST the war (i.e., for the resolution), including  -
as he has done consistently - Rep. Timothy Johnson (IL-15).

We should call and thank him. And while we're at it, we could call some of those
so-called Democrtic liberals - like Levin and Pelosi - who voted against withdrawal.

--CGE