[Peace-discuss] US/Israel spying on us

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Mar 22 22:40:12 CDT 2011

Will the US Share Intelligence with Israel's New Left Wing Intelligence Initiative?
By: emptywheel Tuesday March 22, 2011 8:00 am

Ha'aretz reports that Israel's Military Intelligence set up a group several
months ago dedicated to collecting intelligence on non-Israeli leftist
organizations that criticize Israel.

/Military Intelligence is collecting information about left-wing organizations
abroad that the army sees as aiming to delegitimize Israel, according to senior
Israeli officials and Israel Defense Forces officers.

The sources said MI's research division created a department several months ago
that is dedicated to monitoring left-wing groups and will work closely with
government ministries.

[snip]

Military Intelligence officials said the initiative reflects an upsurge in
worldwide efforts to delegitimize Israel and question its right to exist.

"The enemy changes, as does the nature of the struggle, and we have to boost
activity in this sphere," an MI official said. "Work on this topic proceeds on
the basis of a clear distinction between legitimate criticism of the State of
Israel on the one hand, and efforts to harm it and undermine its right to exist
on the other."

The new MI unit will monitor Western groups involved in boycotting Israel,
divesting from it or imposing sanctions on it. The unit will also collect
information about groups that attempt to bring war crime or other charges
against high-ranking Israeli officials, and examine possible links between such
organizations and terror groups.
/
Now aside from thinking generally that this is a bad idea, I'm particularly
concerned about whether or not the US will share intelligence with Israel on
such issues.

For example, the initiative says it will look for ties between groups critical
of Israel and terrorist groups. How is that different from the investigation of
a bunch of peace activists' ties with humanitarian organizations which has
suggested the peace activists have ties to Hezbollah? And since we know OLC gave
the President and certain Federal Officials the green light to ignore privacy
protections on the sharing of grand jury information in the PATRIOT Act, does
that mean our government will readily share the information they're collecting
in that grand jury with the Israelis?

And to some degree, the Israelis wouldn't even have to rely on intelligence
sharing, per se. In his book The Shadow Factory, James Bamford spent some time
detailing the Israeli ties to key companies in our electronic surveillance,
companies like Verint, which intercepts and stores communication, PerSay, which
does voice mining, NICE, which does voice content analysis, and Narus, which
enables real-time surveillance on telecom lines. Between Verint and Narus,
Bamford writes,
/
Thus, virtually the entire American telecommunications system is bugged by two
Israeli-formed companies with possible ties to Israel's eavesdropping
agency--with no oversight by Congress./

And we can find such ties closer to home, too. The company that had been paid by
Pennsylvania to track potential threats to critical infrastructure which ended
up tracking First Amendment protected speech, the Institute of Terrorism
Research and Response, is an Israeli company. Among other groups it tracked (one
key focus was anti-fracking groups) were peace organizations--precisely the kind
of group that might oppose Israel's actions in Gaza.

The concern that federal and state entities have been paying companies with
Israeli ties to collect information on groups that might include the same peace
groups targeted by this new initiative in Israel is one thing.

But think of the other logical possibility. Our federal and state governments
usually show some embarrassment when they get caught collecting intelligence on
peace groups (though that doesn't seem to stop it from happening over and over
again). What will stop those same government entities from asking Israel to
collect such information?

http://emptywheel.firedoglake.com/2011/03/22/will-the-us-share-intelligence-with-israels-new-left-wing-intelligence-initiative/
[with links]