[Peace-discuss] A new left/right antiwar movement?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Mar 24 01:03:22 CDT 2011

[From the Libertarian website <antiwar.com>. The author is described as "a
scientist who lives in Cambridge, Mass. He is a frequent contributor to
CounterPunch.org."]

Impeach Barack Obama
A Challenge to Tea Partiers and Antiwar Liberals
by John V. Walsh, March 24, 2011

The time has come for those who claim high regard for the U.S. Constitution to
show that they mean what they say. The time has come to begin impeachment
proceedings against President Barack H. Obama for high crimes and misdemeanors.

The United States has initiated a war against Libya, as Secretary of Defense
Robert Gates has conceded. When one country bombs another, which has not
attacked it nor posed any immediate threat to it, that is an act of war. No
"humanitarian" rationale justifies such an act. Only an act of Congress suffices
according to the United States Constitution. Barack Obama has violated that
provision of the United States Constitution, which he swore, falsely it is now
apparent, to defend and protect. Barack Obama has committed this greatest of
impeachable offenses. Other offenses related to torture and violation of the
civil liberties of U. S. citizens may emerge as articles of impeachment are
drawn up.

Many Tea Party candidates and paleo-conservative and libertarian Republicans,
such as Rep. Ron Paul, won office by declaring their high regard for the
Constitution. Rep. Paul stated in advance of the attack on Libya that a
Congressional declaration of war was necessary according to the provisions of
the Constitution before an assault could proceed. If these Republicans do not
act now to begin impeachment following the lead of the very principled Dr. Paul,
their words meant nothing, and they should be turned out of office.

Similarly antiwar liberals such as Dennis Kucinich backed candidate Barack Obama
because of his promises of peace. But President Obama has given us ever more
war. His pledge to end the war in Iraq by 2009 turns out to be an empty promise,
and he has widened the war in Afghanistan. He has also ordered the bombing of
Pakistan, another act of war not authorized by Congress. If such liberals are
genuine agents of peace, they too have an obligation to follow the lead of
Kucinich who has used the term impeachment with respect to Barack Obama¡¯s
behavior to initiate impeachment proceedings. Otherwise they are poseurs, and
they should be turned out of office.

Barack Obama can himself be called as the first witness to the hearings on his
impeachment, so obvious is his crime. In 2008 as a candidate for the presidency
he replied as follows to a question from the Boston Globe¡¯s Charlie Savage.

Savage:" In what circumstances, if any, would the president have constitutional
authority to bomb Iran without seeking a use-of-force authorization from
Congress? (Specifically, what about the strategic bombing of suspected nuclear
sites ¡ª a situation that does not involve stopping an IMMINENT threat?)

Obama: "The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally
authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an
actual or imminent threat to the nation."

High members of his administration agree and might provide ancillary testimony.
Vice President Joseph Biden has declared: "The Constitution is clear: except in
response to an attack or the imminent threat of attack, only Congress may
authorize war and the use of force." Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was of
the same opinion: "If the country is under truly imminent threat of attack, of
course the President must take appropriate action to defend us. At the same
time, the Constitution requires Congress to authorize war. I do not believe that
the President can take military action ¨C including any kind of strategic bombing
¨C against Iran without congressional authorization."

Barack Obama has further isolated the U.S. in the world by going to war against
Libya, contrary to his claims of being a part of a broad international effort.
This can only do more damage to our country, bleeding now with so many problems.
Consider the vote in UN Security Council. Michael Lind informs us of the
demographics and power relationships lying behind the UN vote as follows: "In
the vote to authorize war against Libya, the U.S., Britain and France joined by
Bosnia and Herzegovina, Colombia, Gabon, Lebanon, Nigeria, Portugal and South
Africa. Abstaining from the vote were five countries: Brazil, Russia, India,
China and Germany."

"What do the five countries that registered their opposition to the Libyan war
have in common? They make up most of the great powers of the early twenty-first
century. A few years back, Goldman Sachs identified the so-called "BRIC¡¯s" ¡ª
Brazil, Russia, India and China ¡ª as the most important emerging countries in
the world. The opponents of the Libyan war on the Security Council are the
BRIC¡¯s plus Germany, the most populous and richest country in Europe."

"Including the United States, the Security Council nations that voted for the
no-fly zone resolution have a combined population of a little more than 700
million people and a combined GDP, in terms of purchasing power parity, of
roughly $20 trillion. The Security Council countries that showed their
disapproval of the Libyan war by abstaining from the vote have a combined
population of about 3 billion people and a GDP of around $21 trillion."

"If the U.S. is factored out, the disproportion between the pro-war and anti-war
camps on the Security Council is even more striking. The countries that
abstained from the vote account for more than 40 percent of the human race. The
countries that joined the U.S. in voting to authorize attacks on Libya,
including Britain and France, have a combined population that adds up to a
little more than 5 percent of the human race."

The situation appears worse the more one regards it. Lebanon¡¯s government
controls only part of its territory. Gabon is a statelet with a mere 1.6 million
people, smaller than many American cities. And the UN ambassadors of two of the
countries who sided with the U.S., Nigeria and South Africa, were not present
when the vote was scheduled to be taken. Ambassador Rice had to leave the
Security Council chamber, find them and usher them in herself.

Partisan considerations should not impede the move to impeach Barack Obama. When
George W. Bush was president, many on the Democratic Party Left called for his
impeachment. They must do the same for President Obama who has more clearly
violated the Constitution than President Bush since he did not even seek the
dubious Congressional "authorization" which George W. Bush asked for and
received. If the Left cannot do this, its credibility will be in shambles, and
quite deservedly so. On the other side clearly there is reason to indict Bush,
and some on the Left are calling for that as are certain authorities in European
countries where the former President dare not go. But at the moment Barack Obama
is in charge and capable of greater damage if he is not stopped by impeachment.
Impeachment of Barack Obama can no longer be avoided.

President Barack Obama has violated the U.S. Constitution and employed the armed
forces of the U.S. as a king¡¯s army. The U.S. made its revolution to escape such
a predicament, and if this usurper of Congressional authority is not stopped and
punished, these crimes will continue under each succeeding executive. This must
end and it must end now. Impeachment proceedings must begin at once.

http://original.antiwar.com/john-v-walsh/2011/03/23/impeach-barack-obama/