[Peace-discuss] Johnson opposes military action in Libya

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Mar 25 15:25:05 CDT 2011

> > U.S. Rep. Tim Johnson (R-IL15): “Constitutionally, it is
> > indisputable that Congress must be consulted prior to an act of war
> > unless there is an imminent threat against this country. The
> > president has not done so,” Johnson said. “In fact, this is the
> > same man who questioned President Bush’s constitutional authority
> > to commit troops to war.”

Tim Johnson is quite right. Obama's action is patently illegal under the War
Powers Resolution of 1973.  And killing people illegally is surely an
impeachable offense.

But Obama did more than "/question.../ President Bush’s constitutional authority
to commit troops to war.” He said, "The president does not have power under the
Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that
does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." He was right.

Obama is aware of the difficulty. His 21 March 2011 letter to both houses of
Congress twists and turns to try to suggest that Qaddafi is "an actual or
imminent threat to the nation." Of course he isn't.  --CGE

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/politics-and-government/2011-03-22/johnson-opposes-military-action-libya.html