[Peace-discuss] reading together (other books I am TRYING to read at the moment)

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Mar 25 16:05:10 CDT 2011

Some recent things your list suggests:
/
Hopes and Prospects/, by Noam Chomsky (Haymarket 2010).  Much about LA, and
about the ME.

/Galileo Goes to Jail and Other Myths about Science and Religion/, ed. Ronald L.
Numbers (Harvard UP 2009).  AMAZON: Defining myth as just “a claim that is
false,” editor Numbers and 24 other scholars debunk 25 falsehoods about science
and religion. The most familiar—that the church imprisoned and tortured Galileo,
that medieval Islam was hostile to science, that medieval Christians thought the
earth was flat, that the church fought against anesthesia—have long been
discredited, yet the briefs on them so admirably distill their history that
Wikipedia should swipe them. Others—that the church suppressed science,
prohibited dissection, and martyred Giordano Bruno for his scientific work—still
have their propagandists...

On /News from Neptune/ (tonight at 7pm on ch. 6), David Green suggests/The
Complex: How the Military Invades Our Everyday Lives/, by Nick Turse (American
Empire Project 2008).

Meanwhile, at <http://www.swans.com/library/art17/lproy66.html>, Louis Proyect
reviews

Hodge, Roger D.: /The Mendacity of Hope: Barack Obama and the Betrayal of
American Liberalism/, HarperCollins, 2010, 259 pages, ISBN 978-0-06-201126-8

Ali, Tariq: /The Obama Syndrome: Surrender at Home, War Abroad/, Verso, 2010,
153 pages, ISBN-13 978-1-84467-449-7

Street, Paul: /The Emperor's New Clothes: Barack Obama in the Real World of
Power/ Paradigm, 2010, 274 pages, ISBN 978-1-59451-845-4 (paperback)

Regards, CGE