[Peace-discuss] New lies needed

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat May 7 18:52:24 CDT 2011

The lights are burning late in Foggy Bottom - the section of swampy Washington
DC that's home to the State Department - this weekend.

The US administration is in trouble. After convincing Americans that we were
killing people in AfPak in order to "stop terrorism/deny al-Qaeda a safe
haven/get OBL," Obama et al. have to come up with a new excuse for its Mideast
crimes. They're aware of the difficulty.

"In his speech to the nation, the President twice cautioned that this [the
assassination OBL] doesn’t mean the end of the fight, and the pundits have
followed through, declaring that 'of course' the battle isn’t over. Aside from
all the chest-thumping and victorious howling rising from the crowds, and the
politicians who delude them, the sudden absence of this devil figure — this
looming spectral threat perpetually lurking somewhere in the shadows – leaves a
gaping hole in the rationale for our eternal 'war on terrorism.' A new devil
will no doubt be found, but there aren’t many credible candidates, or at least
none with the penumbra of menace surrounding the founder of al-Qaeda." [J. Raimondo]

Of course the real reason for the decades-long "Long War" (as the Pentagon says)
against the Mideast is control of Mideast energy resources. Control - not
access, which of course we have anyway: the oil has to be sold. In fact, the US
imports very little oil from the Mideast, and most of that comes from one of our
two principal clients, Saudi Arabia. (The bulk of our foreign energy resources
come from the Atlantic basin - N. & S. America & W. Africa). But control gives
us an undoubted advantage over our real economic rivals in Europe (Germany) & NE
Asia (China & Japan), as American foreign policy "wise-men" from George Kennan
and Adolf Berle and to Obama adviser Zbigniew Brzezinski have pointed out.

The Obama administration is down with the program; it simply has to adjust the
propaganda cover. It's happened before. A decade after the collapse of the
Soviet Union, Colin Powell, then Chairman of the JCOS, blurted out that he was
suffering from an "enemies gap." In a candid or foolish moment, he said, "Think
hard about it: I'm running out of demons. I'm running out of villains. I'm down
to Castro and Kim II Sung." Fortunately - at least for ongoing US policy - a new
generation of terrorists arrived in the nick of time, they had a fantastically
lucky success, and the gap was filled...

Since the real reason for US subversion, invasion, and occupation of the Mideast
hasn't changed, a new propaganda cover has to be found. Since Obama sold his
presidency to the US economic elite on the argument that he could heal "the
greatest casualty of that [Vietnam] war ... the bond of trust between the
American people and their government" (Audacity of Hope, 287), he must now
restore that "trust" as the imperial war continues. It seems worthwhile to try
to stop him.