[Peace-discuss] spam - here or there?

"E. Wayne Johnson 朱稳森" ewj at pigs.ag
Sun May 29 20:39:14 CDT 2011

Ok, this is off-topic but some of you may find it interesting even
fascinating.

Click Trajectories: End-to-End Analysis of the Spam Value Chain
http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~savage/papers/Oakland11.pdf
<http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/%7Esavage/papers/Oakland11.pdf>

Spam-based advertising is a business. While it
has engendered both widespread antipathy and a multi-billion
dollar anti-spam industry, it continues to exist because it fuels a
profitable enterprise... We relate these
resources to the organizations who administer them and then
use this data to characterize the relative prospects for defensive
interventions at each link in the spam value chain. In particular,
we provide the first strong evidence of payment bottlenecks in
the spam value chain; 95% of spam-advertised pharmaceutical,
replica and software products are monetized using merchant
services from just a handful of banks.