[Peace-discuss] [Peace] Veterans to stage protest at Tim Johnson's office this Thursday on the Eve of Veterans' Day

C. G. ESTABROOK cge at shout.net
Mon Nov 7 19:16:07 CST 2011

Mort seems more interested in my being "enamored" with Tim Johnson -
whom I ran against for Congress in 2002 - than he is in David Gill's
tergiversations on war policy. (David began by being an enthusiast for
the war views of Rory Stewart, theorist of intervention and now
Conservative MP, whom he heard on a Bill Moyers show.)

It seems to me that voters should be interested in the contrast
between David's ambiguities and Tim's straightforward votes against
the war. Don't we deplore campaigns that are run on personalities
rather than issues? "Candidates are marketed like toothpaste," it's
been said.

And weren't some of us recently fooled by a Democratic "peace
candidate"? (Didn't he get a Peace Prize?)

But to dispel Mort's fantasies, here's a letter of mine about Tim's
views that appeared in the N-G four months ago:

*	*	*
To the editor of the News-Gazette:

The two most important things the federal government does is kill
people and transfer wealth from the majority to the rich.

The Obama administration has proved itself even more brutal and
efficient at those tasks than its predecessor. It has expanded six
wars in the Mideast and has conducted a good-cop/bad-cop charade on
government spending with the Republicans to attack social supports.
And the beneficiaries of Obama's policies are the tiny American
economic elite, whose wealth has increased at an accelerating rate,
even after the financial crisis of 2007-2009.

Our local member of Congress, Timothy Johnson, after voting for the
invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq, has announced publicly that he was
wrong - and now votes consistently against any more money for war in
the Mideast. And he has now commendably voted against Obama's
mendacious debt deal.

Unfortunately, Johnson seems often to do the right deed for the wrong
reason. He has for example repeated the debt and deficit malarkey
peddled by both parties. The deficit is a chimera used to scare
Americans into accepting the government's austerity program. Wealth is
so concentrated in America that an emergency tax of 15% on investable
assets over $1 million would make the deficit disappear  - and 99% of
American would not be subject to the tax.

Nevertheless Johnson has voted correctly - against both the wars and
the debt deal.  He should be supported for re-election against
opponents who would not clearly do the same.

Sincerely,

C. G. Estabrook

August 8, 2011