[Peace-discuss] road trip to Iowa for Ron Paul?

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Wed Nov 16 13:41:55 CST 2011

Thanks, Carl. There's a lot that people can do without any traveling:
basically, time and money.

Time: calling potential voters in Iowa. As I understand it, the Paul
campaign is focusing its outreach on "Republicans." That means there
is a huge group of potential peace voters that the Paul campaign is
not reaching out to. We can get voter lists and call.

For example, we could get the voter list for people who voted in the
2008 Democratic caucus - a lot of first time people who told pollsters
that ending the Iraq war was their top issue - and we could do this in
particular areas where peace voters tend to congregate: university
towns. Ames, Iowa City, Cedar Falls.

The call script would be simple: if you want to end the war in
Afghanistan, if you don't want war with Iran, if you want to cut the
military budget, vote for Ron Paul in the Republican caucus.

People are more likely to do this if they do it collectively, because
it's more pleasant. So there could be a calling party at someone's
house.

Money: I am working to get some of the national peace groups to
cooperate on an "Iowa voter guide" - where do the candidates stand on
war with Iran, ending the Afghanistan war, cutting the military
budget? Then we would publish this in the Des Moines Register and
other newspapers. Folks could donate money to this project: the more
we raise, the more we can distribute.