[Peace-discuss] road trip to Iowa for Ron Paul?

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Nov 16 09:30:31 CST 2011

Bob--

I wouldn't be able to participate but I would contribute/fund-raise
for the effort.

The difference between Paul and the other Republican candidates (and
Obama) on war issues couldn't be more obvious. I'm delighted to see
that you're doing something about it.

The two most important things the federal government does is kill
people and transfer wealth from the majority to the rich.

The Obama administration has proved itself even more brutal and
efficient at those tasks than its predecessor. It has expanded wars in
the Mideast and Africa, and has conducted a good-cop/bad-cop charade
on government spending with the Republicans to attack social supports.
And the beneficiaries of Obama's policies are the 1%, whose wealth has
increased at an accelerating rate, even after the financial crisis -
as more and more Americans are coming to recognize.

Ron Paul of course votes consistently against Obama's wars, on ethical
and political grounds. And he commendably voted against Obama's
mendacious debt deal.

Unfortunately, on economic policy Paul is a notorious believer in the
debt and deficit malarkey peddled by both parties. What Paul believes
as a matter of "libertarian" conviction is being used by others -
often cynically - to scare Americans into accepting the elite's
austerity program. (Wealth is so concentrated in America that an
emergency tax of 15% on investable assets over $1 million would make
the deficit disappear  - and 99% of American would not be subject to
the tax.)

Nevertheless Paul votes correctly - against both the wars and the debt
deal - and is the only major party candidate to do so.

Best wishes for your efforts,

Carl