[Peace-discuss] several reports of police in NYC and San Fran in sympathy with protesters

David Johnson dlj725 at hughes.net
Sun Oct 9 10:58:15 CDT 2011

On the police beatings, to which Karen refers: The "white shirts" are the officers (sergeants, lieutenants, etc.) I have heard a number of stories, which I can't confirm, such as that after the first day of police attacks some 100 cops refused to come to work the next day. Yesterday in San Francisco there was a police action against the protesters there in which they confiscated some of their tents, etc. I was told that some of the cops actually were in tears.

This is not to say that the police can be our "friends", nor do I believe they are workers in uniform (unlike the soldiers). I think it does show that the state's hold on them is not absolute, though.

John