[Peace-discuss] we are here to help you

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Sat Sep 3 16:10:17 CDT 2011

As we survey the whole scene in Italy, therefore, we may now name all
the essential ingredients of fascism.

It is a form of social organization
1. In which the government acknowledges no restraint upon its
powers—totalitarianism.

2. In which this unrestrained government is managed by a dictator —the
leadership principle.

3. In which the government is organized to operate the capitalist system
and enable it to function-under an immense bureaucracy.

4. In which the economic society is organized on the syndicalist model,
that is by producing groups formed into craft and professional
categories under supervision of the state.

5. In which the government and the syndicalist organizations operate the
capitalist society on the planned, autarchial principle.

6. In which the government holds itself responsible to provide the
nation with adequate purchasing power by public spending and
borrowing.

7. In which militarism is used as a conscious mechanism of government
spending, and
8. In which imperialism is included as a policy inevitably flowing from
militarism as well as other elements of fascism.

Wherever you find a nation using all of these devices you will
know that this is a fascist nation. In proportion as any nation uses
most of them you may assume it is tending in the direction of fascism.

(As We Go Marching, John T Flynn, 1944)